This Salmon Potato Salad is a unique twist on the classic Slavic potato salad, also known as olivye. The addition of baked salmon takes this salad to a whole new level. It’s so filling that it can be enjoyed as a complete meal on its own.
If you’re a fan of salmon, you should also try our Smoked Salmon Salad and Pineapple Salmon recipes.
This Salmon Potato Salad is a family favorite. It’s a simple recipe with fantastic results. If you’re used to plain potato salad, this Slavic version will take your taste buds to another level.
- TASTE: This salad has it all – savory salmon, sweet corn, seasoned potatoes, all in a tangy, creamy dressing.
- TEXTURE: Thick and rich with tender chunks of salmon, juicy tomatoes and corn, and creamy potatoes and eggs.
- TIME: This salad takes about 40 minutes to make.
- EASE: With a little prep, this dish is easy to make. Plus, most of the ingredients are everyday items found in your kitchen.
What You’ll Need
- Salmon: Fresh or frozen and thawed salmon works best. Remove any pin bones before baking.
- Eggs: Hard-boiled eggs are used in this salad.
- Potatoes: Waxy potatoes like Yukon gold or red potatoes are recommended.
- Mayonnaise and Sour Cream: Full-fat versions of these ingredients will make the base creamy.
- Corn: You can use frozen and thawed corn or kernels from cooked corn.
- Tomatoes: Tomatoes on the vine, plum tomatoes, or beefsteak tomatoes all work.
- Lemon Juice: Freshly squeezed lemon juice adds great flavor to the salmon.
Add-ins and Substitutions
- Substitute another type of salmon: You can use smoked salmon, grilled salmon, or canned salmon instead of baked salmon in this salad.
- Make it dairy-free: Substitute the sour cream with plain plant-based yogurt or sour cream to make this salad dairy-free.
- Add dill: Fresh chopped dill adds a fresh, citrusy flavor to this Salmon Potato Salad.
- Add avocado: Chopped avocado adds creaminess and flavor to the salad.
How to Make Salmon Potato Salad
- Season the salmon: Season both sides of the salmon fillets with pressed garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the salmon: Bake the seasoned salmon fillets at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes. Once cooled, shred the salmon with a fork.
- Prep the potatoes: Boil the new potatoes with their skins on, then peel and dice them into cubes.
- Chop the salad ingredients: Chop the salmon, boiled eggs, tomatoes, and green onion.
- Make the dressing: Combine mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, sour cream, pressed garlic, salt, and pepper to make the dressing.
- Combine everything: Mix the dressing with the salad ingredients.
- Serve: Serve the Salmon Potato Salad cool and enjoy!
- Check your salmon for pin bones: Even though they should already be removed, it’s always good to double-check.
- Shred the salmon with a fork: Using a fork is the best way to achieve flaky chunks of salmon.
- Boil the potatoes with peels on: This helps retain their nutrients and enhances the flavors.
This Salmon Potato Salad makes a perfect side dish. It pairs well with burgers, sandwiches, and other salads.
- Meats: Serve it with Smoked Chicken Thighs, Ribeye Steak, Air Fryer Pork Chops, or BBQ Chicken Wings.
- Sandwiches/Burgers: Pair it with a Chipotle Burger with Avocado Sauce, Brisket Sandwich, Caprese Sandwich, or Turkey Croissant Sandwich.
- Sides: Enjoy it with Crispy Air Fryer French Fries, Air Fryer Green Beans, Sauteed Garlic Asparagus, or Pork Belly Burnt Ends.
- Salads: Serve it alongside Bacon Green Bean Salad, Tri Color Pasta Salad, Broccoli Salad With Bacon and Cheese, or Crab Salad.
Make This Recipe in Advance
Make ahead: You can prepare the cooked elements of this salad in advance, such as baking the salmon, cooking the potatoes, and boiling the eggs. Store them in the fridge until you’re ready to assemble the salad.
Storing: Store the Salmon Potato Salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Freeze: It’s not recommended to freeze this salad because mayonnaise doesn’t thaw well.
More Tasty Salads
If you’re looking for more salad inspiration, try these recipes:
- Cilantro Lime Salmon
- Pesto Salmon
- Panko Crusted Salmon
- Cedar Plank Salmon
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy here.