Note- This post may contain affiliate links, we earn from qualifying purchases made on our website. If you make a purchase through links from this website, we may get a small share of the sale from Amazon and other similar affiliate programs.
Whenever we buy McDonald’s famous Big Mac, McVeggie, or just French fries, it comes with a packet of ketchup sauce. It is creamy, sweet, and rich. But do you know you can recreate this sauce at home? No? We have a full-proof McDonald’s ketchup sauce recipe you can make at home.
This is one of the best McDonald’s sauces to try. Our chef made the signature McDonald’s ketchup sauce recipe in our studio. It is simple and has a rich and deep red color. The best part is it is vegan and gluten-free.
The only thing that made our recipe stand out is that we’ve used fresh ripe, red tomatoes for the best flavor! We suggest not using bruised and unripened tomatoes. Otherwise, your ketchup will become sour.
You will find the rest of the details related to this recipe in the guide below. We’ve tried our best to provide you with the relevant information so that you have the best ketchup. This will help you out. So, without further ado, let’s dive into the guide below.
Is This The Exact Ketchup Sauce Recipe At McDonald’s?
This homemade version of McDonald’s ketchup is very close to the original recipe. The only difference is that we haven’t used additives, preservatives, or color enhancers to get that exact flavor and texture.
Rest all the ingredients, and the process is the same. We were skeptical at first about its texture and flavor. But when we made this sauce, it was well worth a try. All you have to do is to be patient and follow the guide to enjoy the flavors at home.
Does McDonald’s Still Have Ketchup Sauce On Its Menu?
Yes, McDonald’s still has ketchup sauce on its menu. It’s not Heinz ketchup in a packet. Instead, McDonald’s makes its ketchup. At first, McDonald’s used to sell Heinz ketchup packets for 40 years from the 1970s. However, in 2013, the McDonald’s-Heinz partnership ended.
From then, McDonald’s began producing its ketchup. It consists of tomato concentrate, distilled vinegar, fructose corn syrup, water, salt, and natural flavors. It is available for free in almost every outlet. But checking McDonald’s menu prices for the safer side is better.
How Sweet Is McDonald’s Ketchup Sauce?
McDonald’s ketchup sauce has a slightly sweet flavor profile. It is because it contains sugar or high fructose corn syrup as an ingredient, which contributes to its sweetness. However, the sweetness is balanced with other ingredients like tomato, vinegar, and spices.
However, remember that the taste may differ if you prepare it at home or bought from a store due to its specific recipe and formulation. If you are interested in trying it, the best way to know for sure is to get a sample or try it with your McDonald’s meal.
Equipment Required To Make McDonald’s Ketchup Sauce
- Pot – Prepare the ketchup sauce in a pot until the pulp starts thickening and reaches a thick consistency.
- Immersion Blender – Puree the cooked tomatoes in an immersion blender until smooth for a few minutes.
- Sieve – Strain the puree well in a pot and ensure no lumps.
- Bowl – Boil water in a small bowl to thicken the sauce.
- Knife – Roughly chop the tomatoes for the recipe.
- Chopping Board – Chop the tomatoes or any veggies, if using, on a chopping board to avoid mess.
- Spatula – Stir the chopped tomatoes with a spatula to ensure they are tender.
- Mason Jar – Store the freshly prepared ketchup sauce in a sterilized mason jar.
McDonald’s Ketchup Sauce Ingredients
- Tomatoes – You will need two kilograms of tomatoes to start with this recipe. Roma or pasta tomatoes with a meaty texture will work well.
- Vinegar – Distilled white vinegar is added for that tanginess. Plus, it helps the shelf life of the ketchup well.
- Water – Add a tablespoon of water into the mixture to give this sauce a smooth texture.
- Cornstarch – Thicken the sauce by adding a tablespoon of cornstarch.
- Sugar – We have used white sugar instead of fructose syrup to cut the acidity of the tomatoes and vinegar while offering a hint of sweetness.
- Salt – This flavorful ketchup recipe is seasoned with salt to enhance flavor.
McDonald’s Ketchup Sauce Ingredients Substitutions
If you are making McDonald’s ketchup sauce at home and can’t find any ingredients or want to find suitable substitutions for specific elements, here are some ideas:
- Tomato Concentrate – Instead of tomatoes, you can use tomato paste or pureed tomatoes as a substitute for tomato sauce.
- Distilled Vinegar – Use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to substitute for distilled vinegar.
- Sweetness – Instead of using sugar, use high fructose corn syrup to get the exact taste and consistency of the sauce. However, you can avoid using them and use alternatives like honey, agave syrup, or maple syrup.
- Natural Flavors – Recreating the exact McDonald’s ketchup sauce might be challenging regarding flavor and texture. However, you can add flavor enhancers like onion powder, garlic powder, and a pinch of cayenne pepper to add depth to the sauce.
McDonald’s Ketchup Sauce Preparation Timings
Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
Total Time: 40 Minutes
McDonald’s Ketchup Sauce Recipe Steps
1. The Basics
To make the homemade version of McDonald’s ketchup, chop five ripe tomatoes roughly with a sharp knife. No need to deseed them. Fill a pot with a cup of water. Throw the chopped tomatoes and cook them for ten minutes until tender and almost crushed.
2. Puree The Staples
When it’s done, let them cool down completely before blending them for five to ten minutes. Now, transfer the tomatoes to an immersion blender. Puree the cooked tomatoes until smooth. Once all the tomatoes are pureed, run the puree through a fine strainer. Make sure there are no lumps in the puree. Now, take a pan and pour the puree into a non-stick pan.
3. Almost Done
Keep stirring the puree for a few minutes. Season it with salt and sugar and combine them. Now, add a tablespoon of cornstarch to a tablespoon of water. Keep stirring the mixture until thickened. Mix vinegar and keep stirring until the sauce thickens when it cools down. Once it is done, set it aside and let it cool down. Your homemade version of McDonald’s ketchup sauce is ready to be stored in a mason jar for later use.
Tips To Make McDonald’s Ketchup Sauce Better
Making your homemade version of McDonald’s ketchup sauce will yield a fun and rewarding experience. You can make it better by adding your touch. I’ve jotted down a list of tips to enhance the flavor and make it even better:
- Tomato Type – The key to a delicious ketchup sauce is using high-quality, ripe tomatoes. Fresh tomatoes provide a more vibrant taste than canned tomato products.
- Reduction – Reduction is the key to achieving that authentic texture. If you feel, your sauce is too thin or watery, simmer it for a few minutes.
- Add Tomato Paste – If your tomato sauce is less flavorful than expected, add a spoonful of tomato paste to fill in the blanks.
- Season It – The role of salt is to enhance the flavor of any food item. But make sure not to add salt at first aggressively.
- Add Sugar – Sugar will not make this sauce sugary but will make the flavors shine. It will help the sweetness of tomatoes to stand out.
- Add An Acid – Uplift your bland tomato ketchup by adding a splash of vinegar or lemon juice or a few drops of hot sauce. It will add depth of flavors.
- Baking Soda – If your ketchup is too bitter, turn to baking soda, not sugar. It will help balance the acid.
How Will This McDonald’s Ketchup Sauce Look And Taste Like?
Recreating McDonald’s ketchup sauce seems challenging due to the recipe, but not difficult. When our chef made the signature ketchup sauce, it turned out rich with a deep red color, similar to McDonald’s. We were still determining its taste at first. But, when we tasted it, it had a well-rounded tomato flavor with a balance of sweetness and tanginess. The sweetness came from natural sweeteners, while the tanginess was achieved through vinegar. It was way more realistic and perfect than store-bought ketchup.
McDonald’s Ketchup Sauce Nutritional Values
This homemade version of McDonald’s ketchup sauce is healthier than the original one. The reason for this is that this homemade sauce doesn’t contain any artificial additives. Other than this, you can choose high-quality organic ingredients for your recipe, reducing the risk of exposure to any allergy or health issues. To know more about its nutritional value, take a look at the table below:
McDonald’s ketchup sauce is healthier than any other sauce or condiment. Still, we suggest checking the nutritional value of the items before ordering anything.
What To Serve With This McDonald’s Ketchup Sauce
McDonald’s ketchup sauce is a versatile condiment that pairs well with various dishes. Here are some delicious options to consider when serving McDonald’s ketchup sauce:
- McDonald’s Chicken Wrap – Spread the sauce on your favorite McDonald’s chicken wrap to add a creamy and tangy element that complements the flavors.
- McDonald’s French Fries – If you’re in the mood for a breakfast-inspired snack, dip your fries in the breakfast sauce for a unique and tasty combination. The creamy and tangy sauce pairs surprisingly well with the crispy fries.
- McDonald’s Chicken Nuggets – Dunk the restaurant-style McDonald’s chicken nuggets into creamy and zesty breakfast sauce.
- McDonald’s McChicken Recipe – Spread the ketchup sauce on your McChicken to add a sweet and tangy element to your chicken sandwich. You can either omit mustard sauce or add another layer of this sauce.
- McDonald’s Breakfast Burritos – McDonald’s breakfast burritos are wrapped with healthy and flavorful components. Adding a pinch of sweetness and tanginess and the creamy, zesty, and crunchy burrito flavors will relish your day.
- McDonald’s Big Mac – McDonald’s Big Mac is a famous double cheeseburger known for its classic flavored patties. You can spread the sauce on your favorite Big Mac and enjoy your meal.
Other McDonald’s Sauce Recipes To Try
So, it was all about McDonald’s ketchup recipe. This is the exact recipe for the McDonald’s ketchup sauce that we can use at your home. But you want to try some more McDonald’s sauces at home. In that case, we have the copycat recipes of McDonald’s Big Mac Recipe, McDonald’s Honey Mustard Sauce, McDonald’s Sweet And Sour Sauce, McDonald’s Hot Mustard Sauce, McDonald’s Szechuan Sauce, and McDonald’s BBQ Sauce Recipe. Besides this, we’ve also made other McDonald’s copycat recipes that you can check out.
So, try this recipe now, and don’t forget to share your views with us.
McDonald’s ketchup sauce is a staple condiment at fast food chains worldwide. It’s a tomato-based sauce with a tangy and somewhat sweet taste that goes well with various food items. So, try this recipe now, and don’t forget to share your views with us.