Thanksgiving is that time of the year when you can enjoy a lavish feast guilt-free. But the next day, you are also left with a good amount of food. So, to make the best use of your turkey, I have a delectable leftover turkey hash recipe waiting for you.
Using the leftover turkey hash recipe, you can turn your leftover turkey into a hearty breakfast. As the name suggests, this dish uses leftover turkey and potatoes. The flavors of this dish are amped up using flavorful herbs and colorful vegetables.
The leftover turkey hash recipe is quick and easy to prepare that only takes 25 minutes to cook. The best part about making this dish is that you can use the whole leftover turkey by shredding it or making use of any other pieces that were not sent to the table.
In the sections below, you will find out step-by-step instructions to make this recipe. Furthermore, you will also find out the ways to serve this dish. So, let’s check out the leftover turkey hash recipe and make the most of your Thanksgiving turkey!
What’s In The Post
Other Thanksgiving Recipes That You Can Try
- Zesty Garden Turkey Club Sandwich
- Turkey Avocado Sandwich
- Deli Turkey
- Turkey Cranberry Sandwich
- Spatchcocked Smoked Turkey
- Bourbon Pecan Pie
- Salted Caramel Pie
- Purple Sweet Potato Pie
- Spinach Spoon Bread
- Turkey Giblet Gravy
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Leftover Turkey Hash?
- Skillet – You will need a large skillet to cook the leftover turkey hash.
- Knife – A knife will be needed to chop the vegetables and shred the turkey meat.
- Chopping Board – A chopping board will help cut the turkey and vegetables.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Leftover Turkey Hash?
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Leftover Turkey Hash?
- Butter – You will need three tablespoons of unsalted butter to cook this dish. If you wish to make this dish more flavorful and richer, you can also use bacon fat instead of butter.
- Onion – You will need one large diced sweet onion to add sweetness and umami flavors to the dish.
- Green Pepper – You will need one large diced green pepper to add color to the dish and a grassy flavor.
- Potatoes – A hash is incomplete without potatoes; therefore, you will need one and a half lbs. of russet potatoes, diced into half-inch cubes.
- Turkey – The star ingredient of this dish is turkey. You will need four cups of leftover turkey, roughly chopped.
- Garlic – Garlic provides a powerful flavor to food. In this dish, we will add six cloves of minced garlic.
- Poultry Blend (Rosemary, Thyme, Sage) – To add an herby flavor to the dish, you will need one tablespoon of chopped rosemary, thyme, and sage.
- Salt – To balance the savory flavors of the dish, you will need one teaspoon of kosher salt.
- Black Pepper – To add a punch of peppery notes, you will need half a teaspoon of black pepper.
- Turkey Gravy – To serve this dish, you will need some turkey gravy.
Steps To Make Leftover Turkey Hash
1. Make The Base
To make leftover turkey hash, we will begin by placing a large skillet over medium heat and heating butter or bacon fat. We will then add diced onion and diced green pepper to the skillet and cook the vegetables until the onions turn translucent. Next, we will add cubed russet potatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Make sure to cook the ingredients by stirring them occasionally.
2. Turkey And Herbs
Once the potatoes are cooked, we will add the leftover chopped turkey, garlic, herbs, salt, and black pepper. Continue to cook the mixture for 5 minutes or until potatoes start to char. Check the dish for seasoning and serve with leftover gravy.
What Herbs And Other Ingredients Pair Well With Leftover Turkey Hash?
Leftover turkey hash is a versatile dish that can be paired with almost anything. It can also incorporate more ingredients. The above-mentioned herbs and spices in the recipe add a delicious flavor to this dish. However, you can also add more vegetables like carrots, corn, peas, small cauliflower, or broccoli florets.
To incorporate umami flavors into this dish, you can add mushrooms, chopped ham or bacon, and fried or boiled eggs. As for the herbs, you can also add fresh parsley or oregano if you enjoy their flavors.
Which Main Course Dishes Pairs Well With Leftover Turkey Hash?
Leftover turkey hash is an incredibly delicious dish that pairs well with many other dishes. You can serve it as a main course dish or a side dish.
A simple turkey hash dish can be served as a main course dish by drizzling some turkey gravy over it. However, you can make things more interesting by placing a fried or poached egg over it or adding some boiled eggs.
You can also serve some toasted and buttered bread along with this dish. To use this dish as a side dish, you can pair the leftover turkey hash with roasted chicken and whole roasted turkey.
How To Store Leftover Turkey Hash?
Any leftovers containing poultry or dairy must be refrigerated. Therefore, store the leftover turkey hash in an airtight container. It will stay fresh for 3-4 days. But keep in mind that pre-cooked meat tastes best for one or two days only.
While storing this dish in the refrigerator, make sure to separate soft-cooked eggs. It’s best to add them just before eating the dish.
What Will Leftover Turkey Hash Look And Taste Like?
A leftover turkey hash looks colorful and tastes delicious on the table. When you dig into this hash, you savor the delectable taste of shredded leftover turkey and the sweet and unique flavors of potatoes, onions, green peppers, and garlic. Moreover, fresh herbs like rosemary, thyme, and sage, add their fragrant aroma and earthy and minty flavors.
Leftover Turkey Hash Recipe
Place a large skillet over medium heat and heat butter. You can also use bacon fat. Add diced onion and diced green pepper to the skillet and cook the vegetables until the onions turn translucent.
Add cubed russet potatoes and cook for 15 minutes. Make sure to cook the ingredients by stirring them occasionally.
Once the potatoes are cooked, add the leftover chopped turkey, garlic, herbs, salt, and black pepper. Continue to cook the mixture for 5 minutes or until potatoes start to char.
Check the dish for seasoning and serve with leftover gravy.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What parts of turkey can be used to make leftover turkey hash?
To make leftover turkey hash, you can use all the leftover meat from your whole turkey.
What vegetables pair well with leftover turkey hash?
You can add carrots, peas, corn, cauliflower, and broccoli florets to the leftover turkey hash.
What herbs can be used to make leftover turkey hash?
To flavor leftover turkey hash, you can use rosemary, thyme, parsley, sage, and oregano.
Try out this easy leftover turkey hash recipe and tell me how you find it in the comments section below. You will also find more such recipes in the recipe section of our website.