There are a lot of Christmas traditions around the world. One such tradition famous in Britain is Wassailing. Wassailing involves singing to fruit trees and drinking wassail on the Twelfth night of Christmas. Wassail is a traditional spicy cider holiday drink. It is made with or without alcohol and is actually really simple to make.
Wassailing is actually done to bless the next year’s harvest for a good year ahead. It’s a pretty positive tradition if you ask me. It also involves eating great food and drinking wassail and just enjoying life. So, without a doubt, my vote goes for it.
The traditional drink is usually served warm. The recipe I am sharing is for a non-alcoholic wassail. If you are looking for the one with the good juice, you can just add to it later. Remember, only you can spike your drink. So, without further wasting time, let me tell you the right way to wassail. But before you check it out, explore some other beverages from the drinks section of our blog.
1. Starbucks Medicine Ball– Do you want to try a famous drink with healing properties? Then you should go for the Starbucks medicine ball. It has the freshness of lemonade with a hint of citrus mint and peach. It’s a perfect mood booster and eases cough and cold.
2. Frozen Watermelon Vodka Slush– Frozen watermelon vodka slush is one among the best summertime drinks. It has frozen watermelon mixed with vodka and lemon juice along with lemon soda. The melon liqueur gives some extra lift to this drink. It’s a famous tropical drink infused with the flavors of watermelon and vodka with a twist of lemon.
3. Dirty Monkey Drink– When choosing among the best tropical cocktails, don’t miss out on the dirty monkey drink. This soothing drink is infused with the flavors of banana, and chocolate. It’s amped up by adding rum and banana liqueur.
4. Plum Smoothie– Plum smoothie is a perfect relaxing drink and a brilliant immunity booster. It’s loaded with the flavors of plum, ginger, yogurt, and citrusy orange. This delicious drink is filled with antioxidants which makes it a perfect alternative for carbonated drinks.
What’s In The Post
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Wassail At Home?
- Large Pan- Add everything to the large pan and let it simmer.
- Ladle- Use the ladle for stirring and then for pouring the drink.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Wassail At Home?
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Wassail At Home?
- Apple Cider Vinegar- The drink mainly constitutes apple cider vinegar. It contributes to the tradition of blessing apple trees.
- Orange Juice and Lemon Juice- The citrus tang of orange and lemon make the drink delicious and sour. The orange juice also gives it a pretty orange color.
- Cinnamon Sticks- Add the cinnamon sticks for an earthy and sweet aroma as well as flavor.
- Spices (Cloves, Ginger, Nutmeg)- The ground spices make the drink spicy and hot, best for a winter drink.
Steps To Make Wassail At Home
1. A Pan Filled With Juice And Spices
Pour the apple cider vinegar, orange juice, and lemon juice into a large pan and place it on medium-low heat. Then, add cinnamon sticks, ground cloves, ground nutmeg, and ground ginger to it.
2. Let’s Go Wassailing!
Simmer the heat and keep reducing the mixture for about 45 minutes. Then, take the pan off the heat and then pour the drink in mugs with the help of a ladle while it’s still warm. Add a whole cinnamon stick, just for aesthetics. Now, all there’s left to do is enjoy.
How Will The Wassail Look And Taste Like?
The drink has a distinct orange color from the added orange juice. It tastes tangy because of its main ingredients, cider, orange juice, and lemon juice. The spices contribute to the hot taste of the drink. The cinnamon helps a little to make the aroma sweet. All in all, this drink will be a holiday hit.
- 8 cups Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 cups Orange Juice
- ½ cup Lemon Juice
- 4 whole Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 teaspoon Ground Cloves
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
Take a large pan and pour the apple cider vinegar, orange juice, and lemon juice into it.
Place a pan on the heat and add cinnamon sticks, ground cloves, ginger, and nutmeg into it.
Simmer the heat and reduce the drink for about 45 minutes.
After that, pour the drink into glasses while it’s still warm and then serve.
Now, you know another great holiday drink recipe besides eggnog. Make this delicious hot wassail at home and tell how much everybody liked it in the comments below. Happy wassailing!