Indian cuisine is a beautiful amalgamation of different regional cuisines. One such beautiful Indian cuisine is the South Indian. You’ll find healthy and unique recipes that are absolutely delicious and most of them are vegan. One such South Indian dish is the vegetable Uttapam. Uttapam is a kind of savory pancake made with rice flour and lentil flour and has different vegetable and spice toppings.
You can also call Uttapam and cross between a pancake, crepe, and a pizza. Brilliant, I know! It is made by soaking and fermenting rice and black gram. They act as the base for the vegetables. It is also dual-textured, that is, it is soft and spongy on the inside yet crispy and crunchy on the outside. Eat it for breakfast with a hot cup of milk tea.
To make vegetable uttapam, soak rice and black gram overnight. Then, mash them and ferment them for about 8 hours. In a bowl, mix the chopped vegetables. Heat some oil in a non-stick pan and spread the batter on it in a thick layer. Top the batter with the vegetable mixture. Let the base cook and then flip it. Cook the side with the vegetables and then serve.
This is just a quick rundown of the recipe. Find the details of the recipe below. Also, there are other recipes that you can have as starters, let’s check them out.
1. Potato Masoor Dal Ki Patties– This Tikki is very healthy. It does not have potatoes. It has a paneer and hence has the goodness of calcium. Masoor is good in proteins, hence it is diabetic friendly, good for growing kids, and a good source of calcium and proteins for pregnant ladies.
2. Gujrati Mattar Ghugra– The Moong Dal Ghughra also known as Karanji or Gujiya in some parts of India are delicious flaky crust pastries filled with sweet, sour, and spicy lentil mixture.
3. Cheesy Spinach Corn Sandwich– Spinach Corn Sandwich is a toasted/grilled sandwich recipe prepared with a creamy and cheesy filling made of spinach, sweet corn, flour, milk, and cheese. It is also flavored with garlic, pepper, Italian herbs, and red chili flakes.
4. Low Country Boil– This Low Country Boil is a blend of shrimp, crab, sausage, corn, and potatoes, all cooked together to create a hearty dinner. A complete meal in one pot that’s perfect for feeding a large group of people.
What’s In The Post
Vegetable Uttapam Recipe
- ½ medium Carrot (finely chopped)
- 1 medium Onion (chopped)
- 1 medium Bell Pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium Tomato (chopped)
- 1 cup Split Black Gram
- 3 cups Rice
- 2 Green Chilies (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- Oil (Enough to cook the Uthappam)
Prepartion of Batter
For preparing the batter, soak the split black gram and rice overnight.
Then, mash it all. Add 2 teaspoons salt to it and keep it for fermentation for about 8-10 hours.
Cooking The Uttapam
Mix the chopped onion, bell pepper, tomato, chilies, and cilantro leaves in a bowl.
On a pre heated non stick pan, spread 1 teaspoon oil.
Now, spread the batter on it in a thick layer.
Lay veggie mix on top of the batter and cook it for 3 minutes on medium flame.
Now, apply oil on the veggie side of the Utappam and turn it upside down, let it cook on medium flame for 10-15 minutes.