Tomato Pie! Yes, I know what you all are thinking right now and that’s exactly what I thought when I heard it. The very first time I heard of it, I was like “what will it taste like? This must be something different” as I never listened to these two words-tomato and pie together before. And then when I took a bite, I was begging for the recipe.
If you never had a tomato pie till now, you must add this dish to your “Must have” list! Tomato Pie has such a taste that it even attracts the kids with its flavours. The best part of this tomato pie recipe is that it can be made ahead of time and served cold or you can prepare it at the time of serving dinner, serving it warm or at room temperature.
Kids love it because it tastes like pizza; adults love the fresh flavours of the tomatoes and basil. It is savoury as it is filled with fresh tomatoes, with the flavour of basil, and makes it creamy and cheesy with a mixture of mayonnaise and shredded cheese.
I know, now you after making a picture of a pizza is a form of a pie, you must not be able to wait for more. So, let’s move on with the recipe ingredients.
1. Cherry Pie– Pies are of various flavors and made using different ingredients, including various fruits and nuts. The flavor and taste of this Cherry pie are exceptional and make it different from other desserts available.
2. Kool Aid Pie– Delicious and scrumptious dessert, Kool-Aid Pie is the easiest way to bring smiles to the faces of your loved ones. It proves to be a great hit for any housewarming party or get-together.
3. Green Tomato Lattice Pie– Green tomato lattice pie is a dessert. Surprisingly, it seems like a savory pie, but green tomatoes do not taste like any vegetable. They have a really basic texture and are good at soaking up the spices. This pie tastes much like apple Pie.
4. Frito Pie– Frito pie is a Mexican dish but is quite popular in America. Even though the name suggests otherwise, it is a savory dish made of beef, frito chips and cheese. It is a perfect combination of spicy, salty and cheesy flavor.
What’s In The Post
Ingredient for Tomato Pie
|Basil Leaves (chopped)
|Grated Cheese Cheddar
|As to taste
|½ teaspoon crushed
Now by looking into the ingredients, you must be very clear with what kind of dish it is. You can get them fresh from your kitchen garden or the nearby supermarket. You can adjust the quantity of the cheese and play with the spices as it will make the pie more Cheesy and Herby. Let’s check the time to make this tasty pie.
How Much Time It Will Take?
|1hour 10 minutes
This pie is a bit time consuming but trust me it’s worth spending time on it. You will not regret making it. But it’s not tricky to make; it’s an easy recipe as you have to fill up the ingredients in the pie shell and bake it. You will love doing it so without any delay; we should move forward to the instructions.
Tomato Pie Recipe
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- While the oven is on the preheat mode, peel the tomatoes and slice them. Now, chop the onions and basil into thin slices.
- Fill pastry shell with the layers of tomatoes, basil, onions, bacon, garlic powder, oregano, red pepper, black pepper and salt, one after the other.
- Mix cheese and mayonnaise in another bowl and spread it over the pie. Now, cover the pie with an aluminium foil but no so tightly.
- Bake it for 30 minutes. And then for another 30 minutes, after removing the foil. Serve it warm or cold.
- If you want to make it taste a bit different from the basic taste, you can caramelise the onions and double up the quantity of onions.
- You can also add corns and eggplant (partially cooked on direct flame and diced in small pieces).
Nutritional Breakdown of Tomato Pie
Since this pie is homemade, I thought to add the nutritional breakdown of its nutrients so you can decide how many slices you need to eat.
How to Make Tomato Pie at Home | Video
Making this pie at home is very easy. But still, I’ve added a recipe video below. You can watch this video and understand each and every step every carefully.
I hope you’ll try this tomato pie at your home. If you have any other pie recipes in your mind, feel free to share with us and we’ll feature it in our upcoming blogs.