Strawberry season has officially begun! If you are tired of eating them raw, don’t worry! Here is a recipe for easy homemade strawberry turnovers made with fresh strawberries. This is a great way to preserve all those extra berries that you picked out, and it makes for a delicious snack or dessert!
Strawberry turnovers can usually be made with any sort of pastry as a casing. People use puff pastry, filo pastry, and even pie crust! But for this recipe, we will be using puff pastry as the casing.
These turnovers might sound tough to make, considering they have puff pastry. However, for this recipe, we will be using ready puff pastry sheets, which are easily available in the market. Isn’t that a huge relief? Ready puff pastry sheets save a lot of time and are genuinely a blessing for all home bakers!
So now we know we’ll be making a strawberry jam and filling it in puff pastry sheets. But what exactly is puff pastry? It is a light and flaky pastry made with laminated dough. The dough is made by alternating layers of butter and dough and contains no leavening agents.
However, let me tell you, these strawberry turnovers aren’t made for health-conscious people. Puff pastry does contain a large amount of butter that goes into it’44*s layers. So for people watching their weight, do know that these strawberry turnovers are a little high in calories.
Now that I’ve explained the science behind puff pastry and about nutritional aspects, let’s dig into this recipe for strawberry turnovers! You will find a list of all the important ingredients and equipment for this recipe. These turnovers will make for a great dessert to serve to your family and friends!
What’s In The Post
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Strawberry Turnovers?
- Bowl – You will need two bowls for this recipe. One to whisk the eggs and the other to mix cornstarch and water.
- Saucepan – Use a heavy bottom saucepan as that will stop the strawberries from sticking to the base while simmering.
- Whisk – You will need a whisk to whisk up the eggs for egg wash and to mix the filling.
- Spatula – Use a spatula to scrape the bottom and sides of the saucepan while making the filling.
- Brush – You will need a thick brush to apply egg wash on the turnovers.
- Fork – Use a fork to crimp the sides of the turnovers before baking. This will stop the filling from oozing out.
- Spoon – You will need a spoon to add all those spices and sugar to the filling.
- Rolling Pin – Use a rolling pin to roll out the puff pastry dough into even thickness.
- Knife – Use a sharp knife or pizza cutter to cut out squares of puff pastry. A pizza cutter gives cleaner cuts, in my experience.
- Chopping Board – You will need a chopping board to chop up the strawberries.
- Baking Tray – You will need 2 flat baking trays to bake the turnovers.
- Baking Paper – Use baking paper as a base for the turnovers on the baking tray. This way, any filling that oozes out will stay on the paper and not stick to the tray.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Strawberry Turnovers?
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Strawberry Turnovers?
- Strawberries – Strawberries are the heart of this dish. Use fresh strawberries for best results.
- Puff Pastry Sheet – We will fill the jam in puff pastry sheets.
- Butter – Use chopped pieces of butter to add to the filling. Butter will add shine and help enhance flavors.
- Eggs – You will need eggs to apply as an egg wash on the turnovers. This will give the turnovers a shiny, golden look.
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice acts as a natural thickener to the strawberry filling.
- Sugar – Sugar will add sweetness to the strawberry filling and will cut down the acidity.
- Cinnamon Powder – Cinnamon powder will add a little kick of smoky spice to your strawberry filling.
- Salt – A pinch of salt will help enhance all the other flavors in the filling.
- Cornstarch – A little bit of cornstarch will also help thicken the filling.
- Water – Adding water will be used to adjust the consistency of the filling.
Steps To Make Strawberry Turnovers
1. Jamming Session
Chop up the strawberries into small pieces. Add them to a saucepan with butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon powder, lemon juice, and water. Let this simmer until the strawberries are soft. Meanwhile, mix the cornstarch and some water in a separate bowl. Add this to the strawberries once soft. Let this cook for about 5 minutes. Once done, take it off the flame and transfer it to a different bowl. Your strawberry filling/jam is ready!
2. Rolling It Up
Once the puff pastry is at room temperature, roll it out and cut squares that are 5*5 inches in size. Transfer them to a baking tray lined with baking paper. Whisk eggs in a bowl and use this egg wash to brush the sides of the pastry.
3. Filling It Up
Fill the center of the pastry with 1 tablespoon of strawberry filling. Fold the pastry by sticking two sides together. Crimp the sides with a fork. Apply egg wash on top of the pastry and sprinkle some castor sugar. This will give a golden look to the turnovers.
4. Getting Baked
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes. Place the baking tray in the oven and let the turnovers bake for 20 minutes. Once out of the oven, let them cool a little bit. Serve immediately or later!
How Will The Strawberry Turnovers Look and Taste Like?
These beautiful strawberry turnovers will have a golden-brown crust on top of them. They will have a very rustic appearance. The pastry will be extremely light and flaky with sweetness and a bit of tang from the strawberry filling in the center. Dust the turnovers with some icing sugar for some added effect!
Strawberry Turnovers Recipe
- ½ cup Strawberries
- 2 Puff Pastry Sheets
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Cinnamon Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- teaspoon Cornstarch
- ½ cup Water
- 2 Eggs
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
Chop up the strawberries into small pieces. Add them to a saucepan with butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon powder, lemon juice, and water.
Let this simmer until the strawberries are soft. Meanwhile, mix the cornstarch and some water in a separate bowl.
Add the cornstarch to the strawberries once soft. Let this cook for about 5 minutes.
Once done, take it off the flame and transfer it to a different bowl. Your strawberry filling/jam is ready!
Once the puff pastry is at room temperature, roll it out and cut squares that are 5*5 inches in size.
Transfer them to a baking tray lined with baking paper.
Whisk eggs in a bowl and use this egg wash to brush the sides of the pastry.
Fill the center of the pastry with 1 tablespoon of strawberry filling. Fold the pastry by sticking two sides together. Crimp the sides with a fork
Apply egg wash on top of the pastry and sprinkle some castor sugar. This will give a golden look to the turnovers.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes.
Place the baking tray in the oven and let the turnovers bake for 20 minutes.
Serve immediately or later!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How long do strawberries last in the fridge?
Strawberries can last for up to 3 to 7 days.
How long do strawberries take in a dehydrator?
It will take 16 to 18 hours to dehydrate the strawberries.
How long are dehydrated strawberries good for?
The dehydrated strawberries can last for up to 6 months.
What do you need to make strawberry turnover?
Strawberry turnovers are prepared with fresh strawberries, butter, sugar, salt, cinnamon powder, cornstarch, and lemon juice.
So, what are you waiting for? Dive in to prepare strawberry turnover in your comfort kitchen. Let us know how it goes in the comment section below.