Sticky rice or sweet rice is very different than other types of rice. This glutinous rice from Southeast Asia is used in both; desserts as well as savory dishes. The preferred one for desserts or sweet dishes is the short-grain sticky rice.
Choose your rice carefully as the starch “Amylose” is only 1% in sticky rice. The combination of Amylose with amylopectin allows most white rice to cook up into fluffy individual grains. So, low amylose content makes the rice very sticky when cooked. Thinking of a serving platter, well traditionally, a bamboo basket is used for cooking sticky rice. Also, traditionally sticky rice is served in a small covered bamboo basket.
To make sticky rice, soak the rice for about 6 hours. Drain the rice and add it to the rice cooker. Add water and salt. Turn on the rice cooker. When the rice is cooked, let it rest for 5 minutes. Your sticky rice is ready to serve.
This is just a brief summary of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below.
1. Syrian Rice– Syrian rice is not your run-of-the-mill cooked rice. It is rice that is cooked in butter along with orzo pasta or broken spaghetti. It is easy to cook and can be served with a lot of different curries.
2. Mexican Rice– Mexican rice is a delicious rice dish made with vegetables, spices, broth, and rice. It is delicious and really easy to make. You can make it in no time. You can serve it with a spicy curry.
3. Brown Rice– This brown rice has many benefits other than traditional rice noodles. It contains high fiber, which is good for your metabolism and cholesterol is not an issue if you have brown rice.
4. Chinese Fried Rice– A quick fried rice like you get at your favorite Chinese restaurant. A couple of eggs, baby carrots, peas and soy sauce is all you need.
What’s In The Post
Ingredients for Sticky Rice
|Water||2 1/2 cups|
|Kosher Salt||1/2 teaspoon|
How much time will it take?
|Soaking Time||Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|6 Hours||5 minutes||10 minutes||6 Hours 15 minutes|
Sticky Rice Recipe
- In a bowl, put the rice and add water so, the rice is completely soaked. Soak it for at least 6 hours. You can also soak it overnight.
- Then, drain the rice and add it to a rice cooker.
- Add water into it. Then, turn on the rice cooker.
- When the rice is cooked, let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Your sticky rice is ready to be served.
Nutritional Breakdown of Sticky Rice
As you know, rice is a very healthy source of carbohydrates; I highly recommend you take a look at the nutrients present in this recipe below.
How to Make Sticky Rice at Home | Video
We have added this video for your better understanding; you can take a reference from it and try this delicious dish at home to savour your taste buds!
Give your feedback about these sticky rice in the comments section below. If you have any recipe that you want us to be featured on thefoodxp, then also tell that in the comments. I’ll make sure that those recipe will be featured in our upcoming blogs. Till then, stay happy and stay healthy.