Portuguese octopus salad is a great salad to make. It is also very unique and a little tricky to make. If you enjoy octopus and salads, then this salad is a great one to make.
This amazing salad can be a part of your breakfast or an evening snack! According to the nutritional point of view, an octopus is a perfect choice because it is rich in iron, omega 3, selenium, copper and vitamin B12. Selenium is a mineral that is very important for protein metabolism during digestion. It also helps in the eradication of free radicals. Free radicals are the scavengers that inhibit the growth of normal cells of the body.
To make Portuguese octopus salad, cook the octopus in water with vegetables, herbs and spices. Then, chop it into bite-sized pieces and add to a bowl. Add chopped onions, red bell peppers and sun-dried tomatoes to it. Drizzle lime juice and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with cilantro and mix. Then, serve!
Let’s move ahead to know about the ingredients to make Portuguese Octopus salad. But before going to the full recipe, let’s check out some other healthy salads as well.
1. Cobb Salad– Cobb salad is a protein-rich meal and was invented by Robert Cobb. It is famously known as American garden salad. It is loaded with chicken, bacon, hard-boiled eggs, cheese, vegetables, avocado, and chives.
2. Cowboy Caviar– Cowboy Caviar is a delicious, colorful and tasty salsa that anyone can easily make at home. It is simple and easy to make and can be made it in no time.
3. Boiled Daikon Radish– The Daikon radish is an Asian radish that looks like a parsnip but has no pungent smell like that. They are quite healthy and good for those who like to have a diet with almost no calories and fats.
4. Tarragon Chicken Salad– Tarragon chicken salad is an easy-to-make delicious salad. It has a creamy mayonnaise dressing and the chicken is tender. It is really easy to make and is high in protein.
Portuguese Octopus Salad Recipe
- 1 Cleaned Octopus
- 2 Carrots
- 150 g Chopped Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- ½ White Onion
- 2 Chopped Medium Red Onion
- 1 Diced Red Bell Pepper
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 3 Cloves
- ½ tsp Whole Black Pepper
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Whole Garlic Cloves
- 1 Lime Zest
- 4 tbsp Lime Juice
- 150 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Bay Leaves
Soak the octopus in water for 1 hour. Add vinegar and soak. Then, rinse it with clean water.
Place a vessel containing water over high heat. Add carrots, white onion, garlic, bay leaves and lime zest to it. Also, add cilantro stems, whole black pepper and cloves to it.
Once the water starts boiling, put the lower part of the octopus inside the water for a few seconds. Then, add the octopus and cover the vessel with a lid.
Put it on medium heat for 40 minutes.
After 40 minutes, check the octopus by pricking it with a fork. If it pierces through the meat easily then, it is ready for the salad.
Cut the octopus into bite-sized pieces and put it in a large salad bowl along with the other chopped vegetables like onion, bell pepper and tomatoes.
Now drizzle the lime juice and olive oil over it.
Add some chopped cilantro leaves, salt and black pepper and mix everything. Serve it in a serving bowl.
Try this octopus salad at home and tell us your experience in the comment section below. Do share this recipe with your friends and family. Also, leave your queries in the comments and I’ll make sure to answer them. Till then, happy eating!