If you love to eat nuggets with sauce, then you should try it out with our recipe of McDonald’s Szechuan sauce. In this article, I will share the secret recipe of sauce, which was available in McDonald’s for a limited time. Let’s see what is so special in this sauce and how you can make it at your home.
I came to know about this sauce when Disney released Mulan. When this sauce was released, people were eating more & more nuggets. This sauce was used to promote the movie Mulan in the year 1998. But later, it was discontinued. But the sauce again came into the spotlight when it was featured in an episode of “Rick and Morty.”
McDonald’s Szechuan sauce recipe starts by heating the pan and combining water, sesame oil, soya sauce, ginger, garlic, and salt. Simmer for 12 minutes and then steep for 12 minutes. Now, mix cornstarch, sugar, peppercorns, coriander, and black pepper. Simmer for 3 minutes and cool. The sauce is ready!
I hope you’re now excited about this wonderful sauce. Don’t have light soy sauce available to make your sauce? Here is a list of light soy sauce substitutes that you can use.
So without wasting any time, check out the detailed list of equipment, ingredients, nutritional facts, and instructions. Moreover, a referral video is added to help you guys even more. But before getting the instructions, check out our other copycat recipes below.
1. McDonald’s Sweet and Sour Sauce – This sweet and sour sauce by McDonald’s is something that you have tried for sure. McDonald’s servers it with their nuggets commonly and now you can make it at your home with this authentic recipe.
2. McDonald’s Honey Mustard Sauce – A quick and easy honey mustard sauce offered at McDonald’s is popular all over the world. This is truly an awesome sauce prepared with honey, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, sour cream, and Heinz 57 sauce.
3. McDonald’s Oreo Caramel Frappe – Oreo caramel frappe is a delicious drink that is prepared with a smooth blend of Oreo, milk, caramel, coffee, and sugar. But why stop there? It is topped generously with whipped cream, caramel syrup, and Oreo dust.
4. McDonald’s Sausage And Egg McMuffin – The sausage and egg McMuffin offered at McDonald’s is enticing and flavorsome. Why go back to McDonald’s, when you can make the same McDonald’s sausage and egg McMuffin at home.
What’s In The Post
What Equipment Will You Need To Make McDonald’s Szechuan Sauce?
- Pan – Toast the peppercorns in the pan.
- Saucepan – Cook and simmer the sauce in the saucepan.
- Wire Mesh Strainer – Strain the sauce through a wire mesh strainer.
- Spatula – Mix the sauce using a spatula.
- Grinder – Grind the peppercorns in the grinder to make a fine powder.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make McDonald’s Szechuan Sauce?
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make McDonald’s Szechuan Sauce?
- Ginger Paste – A teaspoon of ginger paste with garlic enhances the strong flavors.
- Garlic – Minced garlic will add aromatic blend and strong flavors to the sauce.
- Soy Sauce – Add a rich dark color and savor to the sauce with salt and soy sauce.
- Salt – Add salt to your taste.
- Sesame Oil – This adds to the aforementioned earthy and nutty taste of the sauce.
- Granulated Sugar – Add a little sugar to balance all the intense flavors of the sauce.
- Cornstarch – Make a paste of cornstarch with water and add to the sauce to make it thick.
- Ground Szechuan Peppercorns – This is the ingredient that adds the ‘Szechuan’ factor to the Szechuan sauce.
- Coriander – Earthy blend can be added with a teaspoon of coriander powder. You can also add some fresh coriander.
- Ground Black Pepper – These two give the sauce a warm and spicy flavor.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Add a tablespoon of vinegar to bring out tart flavors.
- Rice Vinegar – Rice vinegar has sweet, mild, and delcious flavor when added to the sauces.
- Lime Juice – The sauce is prominently tangy and lime juice has all the credit for that.
Steps To Make McDonald’s Szechuan Sauce
1. The Szechuan Peppercorn Grind
Start by toasting the peppercorns in a pan for 5 minutes. Then, grind them to make powder. Now, start making the sauce, heat a small pan, and combine a cup of water, sesame oil, soya sauce, ginger, garlic, and salt. When the mixture starts to bubble, reduce the heat, cover it, and let it simmer for 12 minutes.
2. Making The Sauce
Then, pour the sauce through a wire mesh strainer and add the sauce back into the pan. Mix 2 tablespoons cornstarch in ½ cup of water and mix to make a paste. Pour the cornstarch mixture into a saucepan and add sugar, ground Szechuan peppercorns, coriander, and black pepper.
3. Heat Work
Heat it until bubbles start to appear and then simmer for 3 minutes. Remove the sauce from heat when it has thickened and cool it for 3-4 minutes. At last, add vinegar and lime juice after it has cooled down. Cool it completely and serve with delicious chicken nuggets.
How Will The McDonald’s Szechuan Sauce Look And Taste Like?
The McDonald’s Szechuan sauce is thick and dark. It is a great partner to your chicken nuggets. It is slightly sweet and spicy but is mostly tangy. There is also the prominence of earthy and nutty undertones in the sauce.
McDonald’s Szechuan Sauce Recipe
Begin with toasting the peppercorns in a pan for 5 minutes. Grind the peppercorns to form the powder.
Take a saucepan, add water, white vinegar, granulated sugar, soy sauce, and cornstarch.
Whisk to combine and then add apple cider vinegar, sesame oil, garlic powder, onion powder, ground ginger, coriander, and corn syrup. Stir in to combine all the components evenly and bring to a boil.
When the mixture starts to bubble and is reduced to half, add a teaspoon of seasoning and Szechuan peppercorns.
Heat it until bubbles start to appear and then simmer for 3 minutes.
Remove the sauce from heat and cool it for 3 minutes.
Garnish the Szechuan sauce with seasame seeds on the top and serve!
Cool it before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is the McDonald’s signature sauce?
McDonald’s signature sauce is a special big mac sauce.
What is the most popular dipping sauce at McDonald’s?
The most popular dipping sauce at McDonald’s is a sweet and sour sauce.
What can I substitute for Szechuan sauce?
The Szechuan sauce can be replaced with chili garlic sauce.
What flavor is Szechuan sauce?
The Szechuan sauce has a sweet, goopy, mild, and light flavor.
Now, it’s your turn to make this sauce at your home. When you make the sauce, don’t forget to share your experience in the comment section below. I’ll also try my best to help you with any queries you might have. Till then, happy eating!