Today, we will learn how to make Jasmine Rice. This rice is famous all across South East Asia. It is a long-grain rice that is native to Thailand. As the name suggests, jasmine rice is lovely and subtly fragrant. It is softer than most of the rice. The secret to a perfectly cooked jasmine rice depends on the right water to rice ratio.
The package instructions usually call for 1 ½ cups of water for every 1 cup of rice. Adding a bit more water can make the rice softer. However, you can use 1¼ cups of water for every 1 cup of rice to keep the rice fluffy and not mushy. It’s very important to understand the kind of rice you want and pour in water accordingly.
To make jasmine rice, rinse the rice. In a medium saucepan, boil water. Then, add rice and salt to it. Cover it and keep on a low flame for 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed. When the rice is cooked, let it rest for 10 minutes with the lid on. Your jasmine rice is ready to serve.
This was just a snippet of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. There are many other recipes that you can make with rice, I highly recommend you to check them as well.
1. Sushi Rice– Sushi rice is different from plain steamed rice. It is made from short-grained rice is flavored with vinegar. Sugar and salt are also used as additional seasonings for the rice.
2. Brown Rice– This brown rice has many benefits other than traditional rice noodles. It contains high fiber, which is good for your metabolism and cholesterol is not an issue if you have brown rice.
3. South Indian Tomato Rice– South Indian style Tomato Rice with lots of spices. This is favorite way to make tomato rice, it tastes so good with pickle and a side of yogurt.
4. Vegetable Biryani– Aromatic and flavorful restaurant-style Vegetable Biryani. This fragrant biryani is packed with veggies, spices, herbs and nuts and is an explosion of flavors in every bite!
What’s In The Post
Ingredients for Jasmine Rice
|1 ¼ (more if necessary)
How Much Time It Will Take?
Jasmine Rice Recipe
- It’s advisable to first clean the rice by placing it in a bowl of water and swishing it with your hands, then drain. Repeat it 2-3 times.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the water to a boil and add salt and rice.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes until all the water is absorbed.
- Here, you need to taste the rice; if it is still too firm, few more tablespoons of water need to be added.
- Cover the pan and let the rice absorb the rest of the water. Do not lift the lid.
- Time to turn off the heat and let the rice rest for 10 minutes. It is important to make sure that the grains are cooked properly from the middle.
- Use a rubber spatula to scoop out rice from the bowl and serve hot.
Note: Rinsing the rice isn’t necessary; if you use 1 1/4 cups of water for every 1 cup of jasmine rice, the rice will automatically be fluffy.
Nutritional Breakdown of Jasmine Rice
It is important to understand how much nutrition you are gaining from Jasmine Rice. Check it out for values in detail.
Note- The Nutritional Breakdown is for 1 cup of Rice.
How to Make Jasmine Rice at Home | Video