Chicken Kathi rolls are the Indian street food version of chicken wraps. It is made by filling a mixture of chicken, vegetables, and spices in an Indian fried flatbread, known as parantha. It is really easy to make and gets ready in no time.
Kathi rolls originated in West Bengal, India. Today, they can be found all around the country. They were originally made with a red meat filling. But they are also made with a chicken and a vegetarian filling to cater to everyone’s preference.
To make chicken Kathi rolls, marinate chicken in salt, red chili powder, yogurt, and lemon juice. Heat oil in a pan and roast garlic in it. Cook for about 2 minutes and add spices, coriander leaves, and green chilies and mix. Then, knead the dough and make flatbread from it. Place the chicken filling on the flatbread. Top with chopped onions and roll it.
This was just an overview of the recipe. Find the complete recipe below. But before going to the full recipe, do check out other bread recipes as well.
1. Maharashtrian Multigrain Thalipeeth– Thalipeeth is a famous Maharashtrian dish typically made of three flours, whole wheat, millet and bengal gram flour or besan.
2. Ciabatta Rolls– Ciabatta rolls were originally made in Adria, Italy, in the year 1982 by a baker. I love the texture of this bread. It is the perfect bread for making sandwiches and burgers.
3. Chicken Missi Roti– This chicken missi roti is soft, round Indian flatbread made with a combination of chicken, whole wheat flour and gram/chickpea flour and seasoned with Indian spices.
4. Yufka– Yufka is a type of Turkish flatbread. It is very thin and goes great when made into Shawarma roll. You can easily make it at home though it is a bit time-consuming.
What’s In The Post
Ingredients for Chicken Kathi Rolls Recipe
|Boneless Chicken Breast (finely chopped)
|1 ½ teaspoon
|Red Chili Powder
|Garlic (finely chopped)
|Coriander Leaves (chopped)
|1 ½ tablespoons
|Green Chilies (chopped)
|All Purpose Flour
|Onions (dipped in Vinegar)
How Much Time It Will Take?
|Marinating the chicken
|Preparing egg and roti
|Cooking chicken and filling
|2 hour 10 minutes
Chicken Kathi Rolls Recipe | Chicken Frankie
Preparation of Chicken Filling
- Put the chicken in a bowl. Add salt, red chili powder, yogurt, and lemon juice to it. Mix it and let it marinate for about 20-25 minutes.
- Then heat oil in a pan. Add chopped garlic to it and roast it.
- Now, add the marinated chicken to the pan. Fry it until it turns slightly brown in color. It will take about 2-3 minutes. After that, add cumin powder, coriander powder, and garam masala to it and mix.
- Lastly, add coriander leaves and green chilies to it and mix. Transfer the cooked filling to a bowl. Sprinkle some chaat masala and lemon juice over it.
Preparation of Parantha
- Add flour, salt, water, and oil to a bowl. Mix it to make the dough. Make a flat and thin round from the dough.
- In a bowl, beat two eggs. Add salt, coriander leaves, and green chillies. Whisk it for half a minute.
- Now, add 1 tbsp oil on a pan. Place the uncooked labread in the pan. Cook until one side is browned and then, flip it.
- Put egg batter on the cooked side. Flip it again to cook the egg side.
- Place the cooked flatbread or parantha on a plate.
Final Preparation for Chicken Kathi Rolls
- Place the chicken filling on the cooked flatbread.
- Finely chop the vinegar-dipped onion and spread it on top of the chicken filling.
- Sprinkle chat masala over it and then roll it. Serve it hot with mint chutney.
Nutritional Information of Chicken Kathi Rolls Recipe
How to Make Chicken Kathi Rolls at Home | Video