Want something to give as a present to your loved ones this festive season but are confused? Don’t worry; here is a Christmas puppy chow recipe that acts as a savior. This sweet and easy-to-make recipe is the perfect choice to use as a present this Christmas.
The Christmas puppy chow recipe, also known as reindeer chow or Christmas muddy buddy recipe, is a perfect gift for every reason and every season. This recipe is filled with sugary goodness. Make this recipe at home and treat your kids and loved ones with these sweet candies.
You can make this easy yet delicious recipe in just 15 minutes and then freeze it for one or two hours. Just mix chocolate, butter, Chex, and pretzels in a bowl. Further, add powdered sugar, and garnish it with sprinklers and candies. Isn’t it simple?
Let us go ahead with the recipe without delay and learn about this in detail. In this recipe, I have mentioned all the necessary equipment and ingredients.
What’s In The Post
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe?
- Large Bowl – For mixing rice Chex cereal and pretzel pieces, a large bowl is required.
- Small Bowl – It is important for mixing chocolate chips, vanilla extract, and peanut butter.
- Spatula – For combining the mixture of different ingredients, a spatula is needed.
- Measuring Jigger – A measuring jigger is required to measure the right quantities.
- Cups – It is also required for measuring purposes.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Freezing Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||0 Minutes||2 Hours||2 Hours 15 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe?
- Chocolate – Use dark or semi-sweet chocolate. You can also have a mixture of dark and milk chocolate. Since chocolate used in this recipe must be available in melted form, you can use choco chips, bars, and more.
- Peanut Butter – Another important ingredient for this recipe is peanut butter. Peanut butter helps to maintain the creamy texture of the recipe. You can use cashew, almond, and sunflower seed butter if you are allergic to peanuts.
- Chex – We can’t have Christmas puppy chow without the Chex! Use any brand of Chex as per your preferences.
- Butter – To enhance this recipe’s richness, add butter to it. Butter acts as a binding ingredient in this recipe. With the help of butter, it will be easier to combine chocolate and peanut butter.
- Vanilla – Another ingredient that increases the richness of the recipe is vanilla. A small amount of this would be enough to bring out the flavors.
- Sprinkles – Sprinklers add vibrant colors and fun to this recipe. Feel free to use a good amount of sprinklers over the powdered sugar.
- Candies – You can add colorful candies. To give a Christmas vibe, you can also use green and red candies.
- Pretzels – This is an add-in to the finished puppy chow. It adds a perfect salty/sweet crunch to the mix.
- Powdered Sugar – It is used to give the snowy appearance to the recipe.
Steps To Make Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe
1. Combine Chex & Pretzel Pieces
Start your recipe for Christmas puppy chow by combining the rice Chex cereal and pretzel pieces in a large bowl. Afterward, place the mixture of ingredients aside.
Make sure you break the pretzels into smaller pieces to experience a salty crunch while having each bite.
2. Melt Chocolate And Peanut Butter
After compiling the rice Chex cereal and pretzel, just a bowl and put peanut butter and chocolate in it; make sure you melt them together. You can either use a gas stove or microwave to melt the butter and chocolate.
Then, stir the mixture well until it is melted and gets a smooth texture. After this, make sure you add vanilla extract to enhance the flavors.
3. Combine Ingredients
After melting and combining the peanut butter and chocolate together, pour the mixture over the cereal/pretzel mixture and stir until evenly distributed.
Make sure to scrape the melted chocolate off the sides of the bowl to fuse it into the mixture of cereal and pretzel.
4. Chill The Reindeer Food
Now, freeze the mixture of melted chocolate, butter, Chex, and pretzel in the refrigerator until the mixture barely begins to set up for about 30 minutes. This step is extremely crucial to ensure your reindeer chow isn’t too sweet.
By chilling the mixture, make sure you use less powdered sugar on the mixture, as it will absorb slowly into the frozen mixture as it would absorb into a warm mixture of ingredients.
5. Add Powdered Sugar
Once you feel that the Christmas puppy chow is a bit hardened but still able to stir well, remove the mixture of ingredients from the refrigerator.
After this, put some powdered sugar at the bottom of another large bowl. Add half the chilled mixture and more powdered sugar over the cereal and the remaining chocolate/cereal mixture.
Using powdered sugar in a fresh bowl will ensure that the chocolate does not stick on the sides. Make sure you gently stir the mixture until the powdered sugar is evenly distributed. Toss the mixture of cereal with powdered sugar.
6. Chill Again
Chill the Christmas puppy chow again in the refrigerator until it’s set. Place it in the freezer for about another 30-60 minutes.
7. Add More Powdered Sugar
After it is chilled completely, add more powdered sugar, ¼ cup at a time, until the cereal/pretzel mixture is well coated.
8. Garnish And Serve
Once the reindeer food is perfectly coated in powdered sugar, make sure you use sprinklers and candies to garnish and decorate the Christmas puppy chow.
What Are The Tips To Make Christmas Puppy Chow?
- You can mix and match cereal here for even more fun. You can add mini marshmallows, candies, and nuts to make a reindeer mix.
- Make sure you don’t over-stir the reindeer food while adding the candies; it may crush the cereals.
- Use ziplock bags or air-tight containers to store the recipe.
How To Store Christmas Puppy Chow?
You can use an airtight container or ziplock bag for storing this Christmas puppy chow. You can keep them for 1 week at room temperature or in the refrigerator and for 1 month in the freezer.
Serve these little bites at room temperature.
|Vitamin A||146 IU|
|Vitamin C||1 mg|
How Will a Christmas Puppy Chow Look And Taste?
Christmas puppy chow is a delicious treat for this festive season. The fusion of powdered sugar with red and green candies resembles Christmas eve.
This recipe perfectly balances the sweetness of chocolate with the saltiness of butter.
Christmas Puppy Chow Recipe
Combine the rice, Chex cereal, and pretzel pieces in a large bowl. Afterward, place the mixture of ingredients aside.
Break the pretzels into smaller pieces to experience a salty crunch while having each bite.
Over medium heat, melt and combine chocolate chips, and peanut butter, stirring constantly.
When fully melted, add vanilla extract to the mixture. Pour the chocolate mixture over Chex cereal in 2-3 stages and toss gently to coat all the cereal pieces.
Add your powdered sugar and festive sprinkles in a large, airtight plastic bag, and shake to combine.
Add Chex cereal in stages, tossing to cover. Then, spread the Chex in a single layer and chill for an hour to set.
Keep it at room temperature or chilled.
After this, make sure you use sprinklers and candies to garnish and decorate the Christmas puppy chow.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can we freeze Christmas puppy chow?
Yes, you can surely freeze this puppy chow recipe in an airtight container for up to 1 month.
How long does reindeer food last?
This puppy chow stays fresh for up to 1 week if stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Are Christmas puppies chow down on dog food?
No, it is not dog food. Don’t you get confused because of its name. It is a sweet and salty recipe best for only human consumption.
If you are looking for something delicious and sweet to serve your guests or enjoy yourself on Christmas eve, then Christmas puppy chow is the best way.
You can easily blend this recipe with different ingredients of your own choice.
So, what are you waiting for? Try this super easy-to-make recipe this holiday season. If you like this article and want to know about more recipes, do check the other recipes on our website.
Disclaimer- The images added in this blog post have been taken from A Cookie Named Desire, and Joy Food Sunshine.