Pumpkin pie is the quintessential Thanksgiving sweet treat that brings with it delectable fall flavors. While you can find many recipes for pumpkin pie, Chef John’s pumpkin pie recipe is the ultimate recipe that one must try. So, if you have pumpkin pie in mind, try out this recipe this season.
Chef John’s pumpkin pie recipe takes just one hour to prepare. It has a great blend of warming spices mixed with pumpkin puree and a crisp crust. This pie is delicately spiced and lightly sweetened. The best part about this recipe is that it doesn’t crack on the top.
Chef John’s pumpkin pie recipe makes one 9-inch pie, which is good enough to serve eight people. This pumpkin pie is sure to gain you enough compliments.
In the sections below, I will not just tell you how to make this delicious pie but also how to store this pie. Additionally, I will also share with you superb serving ideas that can help you turn Chef John’s Pumpkin Pie recipe into a show-stopping dessert.
What’s In The Post
Other Thanksgiving Recipes That You Can Try
- Pecan Cheesecake Pie
- Bourbon Pecan Pie
- Salted Caramel Pie
- Purple Sweet Potato Pie
- Alton Brown’s Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pear Pie
- Baked Brie With Pecans
- Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pie
- Pecan Pie Cookies
- Apple Pie By Grandma Ople
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe?
- Food Processor – You will need a food processor to make the pumpkin pie filling.
- Large Bowls – You will need a large bowl to mix ice water and cider vinegar.
- Knife – A knife will be required to cut the extra dough changing outside the pie pan.
- Rolling Pin – A rolling pin will be required to roll the pumpkin pie dough evenly.
- Pie Pan – A 9-inch pie pan will be required to bake the pie.
- Whisk – A whisk will be used to mix the ingredients.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|15 Minutes||45 Minutes||1 Hour|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Chef John’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe?
For Pumpkin Filling
- Pumpkin Puree – To make a pumpkin pie, pumpkin puree is the most important ingredient. To make Chef John’s pumpkin pie recipe, you will need 15 ounces of pumpkin puree.
- Eggs – Every recipe needs a binding ingredient to make sure all the ingredients stay together. So, you will need three egg yolks and one large egg to make this recipe.
- Condensed Milk – No dessert is complete without the addition of sweetness. You will need 14 ounces of sweetened condensed milk.
- Cinnamon – Pumpkin pie gets all of its flavors from the right mix of spices. Therefore, you will need one teaspoon of ground cinnamon that adds a warm and sweet flavor.
- Ground Ginger – Ground ginger has a mildly sweet and peppery flavor. In this recipe, we will add ½ teaspoon of ground ginger.
- Salt – Salt helps to bring out all the delicious flavors. So, we will use ½ teaspoon of fine salt.
- Nutmeg – Nutmeg has a fresh, rich aroma and a woody, bittersweet flavor with hints of clove. In this recipe, we will add ¼ teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg.
- Chinese 5-Spice Powder – As the name suggests, Chinese 5-spice powder is made using five spices that deliver sweet and warm flavors. Here we will use ⅛ teaspoons of Chinese 5-spice powder.
For Pie Crust
- All-Purpose Flour – To make an easy homemade pie crust, you will need two and a half cups of all-purpose flour.
- Unsalted Butter – chilled, cut into tablespoon-size pieces – To bind the dough together and add fat, we will need one cup of unsalted Butter cut into tablespoon-size pieces.
- Salt – To balance flavors, you will have to add ½ teaspoon of salt.
- Ice Water – To bind the dough together, you will need seven tablespoons of ice water.
- Cider Vinegar – Cider vinegar helps to soften gluten in the flavor so that the dough doesn’t get tough and chewy. Here you will need one tablespoon of cider vinegar.
Steps To Make Chef John’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe
1. Prepare The Crust
In a food processor, combine flour, Butter, and salt. Pulse the ingredients 8-10 times (for a second each) until the mixture forms coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, stir ice water and vinegar. Take half of the ice water mixture and pour it into the flour mixture. Pulse the food processor, about 3 (1-second) pulses, to combine. Pour in the remaining ice water and pulse the food processor until the mixture starts to come together. This would take you about 8 (1-second) pulses.
Place the dough onto a flat surface and pat it to form a circle. Divide the dough in half and form each half into 5-inch-wide discs. Wrap them in plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes before using it. If you don’t wish to make the crust, you can also use a store-bought crust.
2. Prepare The Filling
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, egg yolks, and egg until smooth. Add sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and Chinese 5-spice powder to the pumpkin and egg mixture. Whisk all the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
Take a 9-inch pie plate, and line it with pie crust by rolling out your prepared pie dough and crimping the edges. Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the prepared crust. Release the air bubbles by lightly tapping the pie plate on the countertop. Place the pumpkin pie plate into the preheated oven and bake it for 15 minutes.
Bring down the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake the pumpkin pie for 30 to 40 more minutes until it sets in the middle. Insert a knife or toothpick into the filling almost in the center. If it comes out clean, your pumpkin pie is baked. Allow the pie to cool completely before serving.
What To Serve With Chef John’s Pumpkin Pie?
Now that your pumpkin pie is ready. It’s time to dig into it to relish its delicious flavors. But before you do that, why not make the most of it by using some delectable toppings? Check out the list below to have the best pumpkin pie-eating experience.
- Walnut Topping – A play of textures always elevates the eating experience. Therefore, you can serve pumpkin pie topped with a walnut crunch. To make a walnut topping, mix one cup of coarsely chopped walnuts with 2/3 cup of brown sugar. Drizzle the mixture with three tablespoons of melted Butter and stir to combine the mixture. Sprinkle over cooled pumpkin pie. Broil about 5 inches from heat until the topping is bubbly.
- Pecan Topping – Pecans have a sweet and nutty flavor. They are crunchy to eat. You can top your pumpkin pie with a crunchy and sweet pecan topping. To do so, combine a cup of chopped pecans in a small bowl with 2/3 cup brown sugar and three tablespoons of melted Butter. Sprinkle the mixture over the baked pumpkin pie. Broil the topping until it turns bubbly.
- Honey Whipped Cream Topping – Fold one and a half tablespoons of honey into two cups of whipped cream. Spoon over cooled pumpkin pie.
- Whipped Cream Topping – A whipped cream topping is the ultimate topping that goes well with everything. You can top each slice of pumpkin pie with whipped cream topping.
How To Store Leftover Chef John’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe?
So, you’ve made a pumpkin pie. But now is the most crucial step to store it properly to enjoy it later. Pumpkin pie needs to be stored properly as it contains eggs. Therefore, you must store the leftover pumpkin pie in the refrigerator. Here it can stay fresh for 3 to 4 days.
Place the pie in a box or container or wrap it loosely with plastic wrap. Make sure to cool a freshly baked pumpkin pie before placing it in the refrigerator. If you wrap or cover a warm pumpkin pie, it will turn the crust soggy due to condensation.
Moreover, if you don’t wish to eat the pie in a week, you can easily freeze the pumpkin pie by wrapping it in plastic wrap.
|Saturated Fat||5 grams|
|Vitamin C||4 milligrams|
What Will Chef John’s Pumpkin Pie Look And Taste Like?
Chef John’s pumpkin pie is a pie that comes with a creamy filling and a crisp crust. The pie filling has a smooth and creamy texture which is completed with a crisp crust. Moreover, it tastes incredible with the warmth and flavors that the spices bring along.
Chef John’s Pumpkin Pie Recipe
In a food processor, combine flour, Butter, and salt.
Pulse the ingredients 8-10 times (for a second each) until the mixture turns into coarse crumbs.
In a small bowl, stir ice water and vinegar.
Take half of the ice water and vinegar mixture and pour it into the flour mixture. Pulse the food processor three times (1-second each) to combine.
Pour the remaining ice water and pulse the food processor until the mixture starts to come together. This would take you about 8 (1-second) pulses.
Place the dough onto a flat surface and pat it to form a circle. Divide the dough in half and form each half into 5- inch wide discs.
Wrap the discs in a food plastic wrap. Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes before using it.
Pumpkin Pie Filling
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, egg yolks, and egg until smooth.
Add sweetened condensed milk, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and Chinese 5-spice powder to the pumpkin and egg mixture. Whisk all the ingredients until thoroughly combined.
Take a 9-inch pie plate, and line it with pie crust by rolling out your prepared pie dough and crimping the edges.
Pour the pumpkin pie filling into the prepared crust. Release the air bubbles by lightly tapping the pie plate on the countertop.
Place the pumpkin pie plate into the preheated oven and bake it for 15 minutes.
Bring down the oven temperature to 350 degrees F. Bake the pumpkin pie for 30 to 40 more minutes until it sets in the middle.
Insert a knife or toothpick into the filling almost in the center. If it comes out clean, your pumpkin pie is baked.
Allow the pie to cool completely before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How much time does it take to make Chef John’s pumpkin pie?
Chef John’s pumpkin pie can be prepared in one hour.
Is canned or fresh pumpkin better for pie?
Both kinds of pumpkin can be used to make pumpkin pie.
Do I need to refrigerate pumpkin pie?
Pumpkin pie needs to be refrigerated after being cooked as it contains eggs.
Do you butter the bottom of the pie pan before putting it in the crust?
No, the pie pan doesn’t have to be buttered before putting in the crust.
Does pumpkin pie firm up as it cools?
Yes, as your pumpkin pie cools, the center firms up.
Can I prepare pumpkin pie ahead of time?
Yes, pumpkin pie can be prepared ahead of time.
How can we serve pumpkin pie?
Pumpkin pie can be served with whipped cream topped, honey and whipped cream topping, pecans, and walnuts.
Chef John’s pumpkin pie recipe is one of the best recipes you can try this Thanksgiving season. It is super flavorful and easy to make. To find more such recipes, you can head to the recipes section on our website.