A blue margarita recipe is a variation of the classic margarita cocktail. The blue color of this drink is typically achieved by adding blue curaçao.
It’s a refreshing drink and visually striking cocktail that is perfect for sipping by the pool or serving at a party.
To make the blue margarita, start by filling a cocktail shaker with ice, tequila, lime juice, and blue curaçao. Shake well to combine. Rim the glass with salt.
Fill the glass with ice and strain the margarita mixture over the ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and cherry and serve immediately.
To make an amazing blue margarita, here are some tips. The proportions of tequila, lime juice, and curacao in a margarita are a matter of personal preference.
If you like your margarita on the tart side, you can add a little extra lime juice. If you prefer a sweeter drink, add a little more blue curaçao or triple sec.
A margarita is best served over ice to keep it cold and refreshing. Fill the glass with ice before straining the margarita mixture over the top.
This will help to dilute the drink slightly, which can make it more palatable if it’s too strong for your taste.
For a step-by-step guide on how to make a blue margarita, follow the below steps. Also, take note of the equipment to use and tips to follow.
What’s In The Post
What Are The Tips To Follow For Making Blue Margarita?
Whether you are looking to enjoy one at your next party or want to make a special occasion extra special, these tips and tricks will help you make the perfect blue margarita.
- Use Good Quality Tequila: This is the most important tip for making any margarita, but it is especially important for a blue margarita. Be sure to use 100% agave tequila for the best flavor.
- Add Fresh Lime Juice: The key to any good margarita is fresh lime juice. For best results, use freshly squeezed lime juice. You can also use bottled lime juice, but be sure to taste it before adding it to your drink so that you can adjust the amount of sweetener accordingly.
- Choose Your Sweetener Wisely: There are many different options when it comes to sweetening your margarita. Simple syrup, agave nectar, and triple sec are all popular choices.
What Variations You Can Try For Blue Margarita?
If you’re looking to change up your margarita game, why not try a blue margarita? This refreshing twist on the classic cocktail is perfect for summer sipping. Here are some different variations you can try:
- The Classic Blue Margarita: If you want to stay true to the classic margarita flavor, use tequila, lime juice, and triple sec. Add a splash of blue curaçao to give it that signature blue color.
- The Blueberry Margarita: Muddle fresh blueberries with lime juice and sugar. Add tequila, triple sec, and a splash of blueberry syrup or purée.
- The Fruity Margarita: For a fruity twist, use mango or pineapple juice in place of the lime juice. You can also add fresh fruit like strawberries or raspberries to the mix.
- The Spicy Margarita: If you like your margaritas with a little bit of a kick, add some jalapeño slices to the mix. Or, substitute chili-infused tequila for regular tequila.
- The Creamy Margarita: For a decadent twist on the classic margarita, add some cream or half-and-half to the mix. This version is especially delicious if you use mango or pineapple juice in place of lime juice.
What Equipment Will You Need To Make Blue Margarita?
- Plate – Add salt to the small plate.
- Cocktail Glasses – Take cocktail glasses to enjoy an amazing blue margarita.
- Cocktail Shaker – Combine all the ingredients in the cocktail shaker and shake them well.
How Much Time Will You Need To Make Blue Margarita?
|Preparation Time||Cooking Time||Total Time|
|5 Minutes||–||5 Minutes|
What Ingredients Will You Need To Make Blue Margarita?
- Tequila – Tequila adds smooth, sweet, and fruity flavors to a blue margarita.
- Blue Curacao Liqueur – For a blue margarita, add blue curacao liqueur to the shaker. It will give a nice bittersweet taste to the cocktail.
- Lime Juice – Add lime juice for zesty and citrusy flavors to the cocktail.
- Lime Wedges – Garnish the cocktail glass with lime wedges.
- Cherry – Top the blue margarita with red cherry and make it look truly party-like.
- Salt – Rim the cocktail glasses with salt. You can use kosher salt too.
Steps To Make Blue Margarita
1. Rim The Glass
Add salt to the small plate. Run the lemon slice on the edge of the glass. Dip the cocktail glass into the salt and coat the rim well with salt.
2. Shake Well
In a cocktail shaker, stir in ice, tequila, blue curacao, lemon juice, and simple syrup. Shake well for at least twenty seconds.
Pour the cocktail into the serving glasses. Garnish with a lime wedge and cherry or you can also garnish with an orange slice. Blue margarita is ready. Enjoy!
How Will Blue Margarita Look And Taste Like?
Blue margarita features an amazing flavor profile. The main flavors are lime, floral citrus from blue curacao, and the bitter taste of tequila.
The salt rim balances all the flavors. A blue margarita looks amazing with its deep blue color and is garnished with red cherries – giving it a contrasting appearance.
Blue Margarita Recipe
Add salt to the small plate.
Run the lemon slice on the edge of the glass.
Dip the glass into the salt and coat well.
In a cocktail shaker, combine ice, tequila, blue curacao, lemon juice, and simple syrup.
Shake for twenty seconds.
Pour the cocktail into the glass.
Garnish with the lemon slice, and cherry.
Blue margarita is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is a margarita?
Margarita is a traditional cocktail recipe that is made from tequila, orange liqueur, and lime juice. It is served in a cocktail glass chilled. You can make a variety of margaritas with different flavors.
What is blue curacao?
Blue curacao is a type of alcohol that is beautiful in its blue color. It tastes sweeter than triple sec. It is derived from bitter oranges, therefore it has a slightly bittersweet taste. It is mostly used in making cocktails and mocktails.
Which type of salt can you use to rim the glasses?
You can use kosher salt which has large granules. Use Himalayan pink salt for a colorful rim. Also, you can use fleur de sel salt.
What is a blue margarita made of?
Blue margarita is made of tequila, blue curacao, lemon juice, ice, and simple syrup
Are blue curacao and triple sec the same?
Blue curacao is an ordinary curacao liqueur. The blue version has less alcohol value of about 20% ABV. Its main function is to add blue color to the cocktail. You can easily substitute blue curacao as a substitute for triple sec.
We hope you enjoyed this blue margarita recipe. Whether you’re looking to impress your guests at your next Christmas party or just want to relax with a delicious drink, this margarita is sure to hit the spot. Don’t forget to garnish with a lime wedge and enjoy!
The recipe card image is taken from cocktails.foodviva.com
The featured image is taken from thespruceeats.com